Friday, March 8, 2013

Surreal Collage

I wanted to use the juxtaposition that was so common in the surrealist work but make it more subtle, like some of Magritte’s paintings. Sometimes his works would look completely normal until you looked a little closer and noticed something out of place. For example his painting “The Blank Cheque” has a woman riding on a horse through the woods at first glance. However the trees in this painting create an optical illusion. For my work I took a few photographs that were related to create an image before placing them inside another, non-related image that can hopefully make you question why something is a little off in the picture.

I am reasonably happy with the results of my collage. I think I managed to make the images work together in a way in which they don’t look forced together but they still manage to convey a juxtaposition and an out of place feeling. I could have made it better if I had more images that served a purpose like this but unfortunately many of my pictures don’t work well combined with others in photoshop. If I were to do this again I think I would try to make the photo a little more out there and obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment